xxthedarkness (xxthedarkness) wrote in thequestionclub,
xxthedarkness
xxthedarkness
thequestionclub

What would you do?

Sorry in advance for the long explanation, but I could really use some help/opinions.

On January 13th, my mom and I are supposed to take a trip to Vegas for 5 days. We do this every year at the same time, and we also usually go sometime during the summer. I look forward to these trips because it's awesome to get away and relax and spend time with my mom shopping/eating at cool restaurants. But here's the thing: I have irritable bowel syndrome, which I've been able to control pretty well over the last couple of years. However, the last few months, it just seems to be getting progressively worse. I only used to have problems once every month or two, but now it's gotten to the point where I'm having flare ups pretty much every two or three days. It's affected by both diet and stress, it seems, but I have absolutely no idea why it's been so bad for the last few months. I've pretty much tried everything I can think of. Right now I don't even know what to eat in my own house to make it stop, let alone trying to find something that might be safe at a restaurant. I've eaten out a couple of times in the past few weeks, things that have never bothered me before, and an hour after the meal I'm stuck in the bathroom. At this point, I'm not even sure if it's still IBS or if it's something more serious, and I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist on January 7th. But what's really stressing me out is this trip to Vegas. An 8 hour car ride each way sounds like complete hell, as well as having to eat at restaurants and pray that I don't get sick because that would pretty much ruin the trip for me.

What's supposed to be a relaxing vacation just sounds like a huge ball of stress right now. I really want to go, but I'm just not sure that now is a good time. I've thought heavily about just canceling or asking to postpone the trip, but my mother is pretty unsympathetic to my struggles with IBS. She thinks it's all in my head and I'm just a picky eater. She found me on the floor sobbing the other day after almost a week of constant diarrhea, said something like "What's your problem?" and walked away when I told her I was so tired of being sick all the time.

Keeping that in mind, here are my questions:

If you were in my position, would you ask to cancel/postpone the trip?

When should I mention to my mother the possibility of not wanting to go? I was thinking to wait and see what the doctor has to say, but by that time there will be only six days left before we're supposed to leave. Is that too late? I imagine she'd either go for a vacation by herself (which she could probably benefit from) or cancel the room reservation (she got it for free so it's not like we'd lose a ton of money..)


Any other suggestions/advice on how to deal with this?
This whole situation is just stressing me out, which only adds to the problem, and I'm completely unsure of the best way to handle it, especially because I'm scared of what my mother's reaction will be.


Completely unrelated question: What is/was your favorite and/or most interesting class in college?
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 34 comments
Previous
← Ctrl ← Alt
Next
Ctrl → Alt →
Previous
← Ctrl ← Alt
Next
Ctrl → Alt →