But what if I'm a mermaid? (deepbluemermaid) wrote in thequestionclub,
But what if I'm a mermaid?

glass dome spinning top

My friend has a solid glass dome, perhaps 10cm / 4 inches in diameter, that works as a spinning top. You set it on a solid surface, with the flat side in the air, and spin it fast. It works up onto its side and then ends up with the flat side on the ground. It's mesmerising to watch!

Anyway, last time he used it a shard of glass came off the rim, and now it no longer spins properly. I want to find him a replacement, but I have no idea what such a thing would be called. He got it as a child and doesn't know its name. I tried googling and using image search, but had no luck. I'm guessing it would be sold as an ornament / paperweight rather than as a children's toy, but I really don't know.

So: does this object sound familiar to anyone, and does anyone know what it would be called? Thanks in advance!

  • In one hand, or the other...

    If you could only eat one of the following things for the rest of your life (any type of that ONE thing), plus other foods, which would it be? Keep…

  • (no subject)

    How long would it take for them to notice?

  • fitbit or applewatch

    Which should I buy for my 12 year old niece? since she's basically a teenager, i am interested in longevity and coolness as well as overall quality.…

  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded