awhile ago that I got this one-year fellowship in D.C. working on policy issues at the Executive Branch. In February, I'll be leaving the Pacific Northwest, which I've lived for nearly 9 years and am pretty attached to. My partner of 4 years is staying put here because he has a good job, but we'll stay together and visit each other a lot. At the end of my fellowship, I hope to come back here with more experience under my belt and land a better job than I have now. I just came across a really great job opening here that I feel I'm qualified for now, and want to apply to. Of course I very well could not get it and probably won't just knowing the odds, but I've been encouraged to apply by a biased partner.
Before I even know if I get an interview, I wanted to ask you guys what you think I should do in case I do get lucky and get an offer. So the fellowship starts in February and I haven't been specifically "placed" in an office yet, but the people funding me would probably be a little pissed (the state grant agency) that I'd back out (although I know this does happen). I don't want to burn any bridges, but it is my life, and I'd only back out if I got a better, more permanent job that would allow me to stay here where I am content with my life.
What would you do in my case if you were to decide between a permanent job offer or a prestigious fellowship in the capitol that you've already said yes to? Stay in a place you love with a person you love but piss the fellowship people off, or stick with your course and take the fellowship? After all it's only a year. I know my story is kind of vague so I can explain more if you really want to know :)