||[Aug. 7th, 2009|09:20 am]
The Question Club
I can't decide how to go about this situation.|
I have two bank accounts, Bank Account A (which is a US bank account) and Bank Account B (which is a European bank account). I need to close down Bank Account B by August 24 because I'm leaving the country. Also because I'm leaving the country I will be leaving my apartment and therefore getting my 4-figure deposit back from my landlord, who will probably give it back to me on August 24. My last day of work is August 21. I am leaving on August 25 and on vacation in Canada until August 31, which means I won't have access to my US bank account except through ATM until September 1.
I have a few options:
1. I can wait until my landlord pays me back, close down my bank account and wire all the money from Bank Account B to Bank Account A. I would have to pay wiring and currency exchange fees, but the money would (hopefully) all be in Bank Account A within the next couple of days.
2. I can close down my bank account and take out all my money, then give that money to my job and have them write me out a check in US dollars, combined with my last paycheck. This way I don't have to pay wiring fees. Then I can send the check home and have my parents deposit it into my bank account. I'll take the cash from my landlord and just keep the cash "just in case" something goes wrong.
3. The same as the above, except I don't send the check home, I just keep it in my wallet and deposit it myself on September 1.
All three of these options carry risks. Option #1 carries the risk that something will fail with the wiring and I'll end up losing a couple thousand dollars. Option #2 carries the risk that the check will be lost in the mail or that I will lose part of the cash my landlord gave me. Option #3 carries the risk that I'll lose the check.
So, what would you do if you were me?
(I know this is complicated but we're talking about 2/3 of the money I have to my name, so if I lose it I'm screwed)