This is a pet peeve of mine, but you tell me am I wrong or what? When you wanna say, for example... "so and so has deep-seated problems"...
Is it deep-seated?
I always thought it was the former and I can't stand "deep-seeded"... lol... but it just dawned on me... Am I wrong? LOL. I just took it for granted that I Am Right.
Deep-seeded bugs me just like irregardless and supposably... and ZOMG... "rediculous" and other faux pas of the English language... but horror of horrors... have I been stupidly walking around saying deep-seated when that is... incorrect?
What language errors (or quirks or slang even) bug the shit out of you?
I donated blood last week and the nurse and I got to talking about plasma donation. She told me that the only reason they can pay you for plasma (around here its $50 for two sessions) is because they don't use it for medical purposes as they let on, but they sell it to cosmetic companies to use (for testing? as an ingredient? I don't know). Has anyone heard this? Does anyone know what they really use plasma for?
1. It's 3:48AM. What are you doing right now, aside from answering these questions? 2. Does your SO hate flat sheets? Do you? Why? If they do (and you don't), does it bug you that they do? 3. I'm bored, and can't sleep. Will you tell me a story?
1. Typing these questions. Ha. 2. YES AND IT MAKES ME INSANE because he kicks them all to the end of the bed like I used to when I was FIVE and then I have to move the bigass bed and fix it. And it makes me nuts. RAR.
I got a bad suburn before the weekend and I'm getting into that wonderful peeling stage of it. I've left it alone until now, but anytime my skin peels after a sunburn it gets really itchy and drives me nuts. It's also on my back in such a spot that touching it is almost impossible. Should I leave it alone until it's all gone, try getting rid of it in the shower (with one of those long-handled scrubbing thingies) or have someone apply lotion on it for me? Or all of the above? Usually I would probably pick at it until it got all scabby, but I got a tattoo on my back over the winter and don't want to somehow ruin it.
In the UK there seems to be a lot of holidays. I work in a US call center that assists UK members. I need an updated list of all UK holidays for this year. The list I have from thebigproject.co.uk does not have all the holidays. In fact, my boss told me there is a UK Holiday this week, is that true? What holiday is it?
Could you help me with those pesky UK holidays?
And what do your holidays mean?
If your from the US:
Do you know what UK holidays there are this year? (No cheating!)
What are you doing on the Fourth of July?
*Edit* I was able to google a lot of calendars. I am not completely retarded, just slightly... I was looking for a calendar with *this weeks* holiday, because I assumed my boss was right. But my boss was wrong, oh well. Thanks for the help. But answer those other questions! I want to know what your holidays mean!
I'm thinking about getting some permanent makeup (basically tattoo eyeliner and eyebrows). Anybody have this sort of thing done? Good/bad points? Anything to be really careful of? Does it hurt? Does it look normal pretty quick?
I also have allergy (contact dermatitis) to a lot of jewelry/metals, will that be a problem with the ink(s)?
So we have a Coldstone Creamery opening any day now in a neighboring town. So what do you recommend from there? I've never been to one, just saw it on the Food Network, so I get the basic premise of the place ; )
And another one... do you think this place will get me starting to like ice cream? I'm not too big on it for some reason : /
I've never had a pedicure before, but I'd like to get one. My feet, however, are scary. My toenails grow in funny to begin with, I've trimmed them badly, and I'm fighting off an ingrown nail in two of them. Also, the skin on my feet is dry, cracked, and peeling. I know I wouldn't want to touch my feet. Should I let this stop me from getting a pedicure? Should I find a way to baby my feet a little bit first before I make someone else suffer with them? Or just suck it up and go anyway, because they've seen worse and the whole point of getting a pedicure is to make my feet look nicer anyway?
Is it possible for Crocs to shrink in extreme heat? Specifically the off-brand kind from Payless. I sometimes have to wear them to work, so I take them off when I get to my car at the end of the day, to put other shoes on. They stay in my car at all times, unless they're on my feet.
For Memorial Day weekend, my SO and I went to Hocking Hills County in southern Ohio, where my car spent most of the time sitting in the sun (it was very hot that weekend) with the windows up and my rubber clogs in the backseat. Several days later, when I went to put them on for work, I noticed that they were pretty tight around the top of my foot, when before, they were pretty loose, even with socks on. I had to start wearing them with the strap thing around my heel, which I never did before, because I couldn't keep my foot in them all the way.
Since then, they have spent many a hot day in the backseat of my car, which is always parked in the sun. I went to put the shoes on this morning, after not having worn them for well over a week, only to realize that they feel even tighter. And now, when all of my toes are touching the front of the shoe, my heel reaches all the way back to the little lip on the heel of the shoe, which never happened before. It's like I'm wearing shoes 2 sizes too small.
Is it possible that they shrunk from being in my greenhouse of a car? I never did go through a growth spurt, but I don't think I'm going through one now, at 21-years-old, as all of my other shoes fit just fine.
1. I want to adopt a cat. We already have an adult female cat, and I know cats tend to be territorial (when we got the cat we have now we, at the time, had another cat). What age and gender do you think would be most "compatible" with my current cat? I don't want to upset her too bad.
2. Two Tuesdays ago I missed a concert the community band I'm in played because I was out of town. Last week I missed rehearsal because I was sick. Tonight I can either go to rehearsal in preparation for our concert this Thursday, or I can skip rehearsal (and, consequently, the concert) and go see Evan Almighty and feed my Steve Carell addiction. What should I do, TQC?! I need you to make my decisions for me. D:
Is there a way to find a map that shows generic trends in rent over a geographic area? I'm trying to find rent trends in the greater Chicago suburbs. Google gets me a lot of results that don't actually help.
I have a 95 Honda Accord in great condition--nothing has given me problems except the air conditioning is broken (only because I haven't gotten a part replaced, if it were a part vital to the function of the car I would have gotten it done but I can live without AC) and it has ~95,000miles on it. It has been properly maintained for the duration of its life and I will continue to keep up with this.
I want to commute my last 3 semesters of college, which pretty much means I'll be driving 30 miles on a highway for the workweek. My mom SWEARS my car will not even make it through one year. I don't need my car to last forever, but if it lasted through college it would be great.
What are the chances my car will get me to graduation TQC?
If you had a chance to be on national TV, would you? I have a speech difficulty, and I was actually notified of an opportunity for MTV to do a documentary on me about the disability. I can get rather sensitive about my speech, but I look at the "True Life documentaries" (the one on Tourette's is especially interesting) and those actually seem legit; there's no negative stigma surrounding it or anything. Plus, I'm thinking it'd be kind of cool to be on TV, because I've never done anything like it; I'm afraid even of public speaking.
1) How many times a week (or month) to you go out to eat? Any favorites, splurges or standards?
2) do you pack your lunch, why or why not (optional)?
3) what are you going to have for lunch today?
My answers: 1) Never, i am cheap as hell, except i did go to Mcdonalds for the first time in a year last week. 2) yes, every day. because i am cheap but im also just used to it. Also i have a measly 30 minute lunch break which would make going anywhere near impossible because i dont have a car/bike. 3)a big bag of dora explorer ceral/1/3 less sugar fruit loops and coffee...haha, nutritious..
why the fuck won't my dad talk to my brother about him beating on girls? why are season finales so evil? should i buy a maids outfit and run around saying 'housekeeping - pay for services' for a living? shovel or hammer?
I know I should google this, however i'm not on my computer and I don't want to scare my boyfriend's parents if anything ends up in their history.
I flew from England to Australia 8 days ago... 23 hour flight. I'm not the healthiest of people as it is and my body has pretty much shut down on itself. I've hardly eaten a thing, just want to sleep the entire time.. guess it's just a serious case of jetlag. The weird thing is though.. i've come out in a rash/infection down below. It's extremely painful when I pee so could be a urinary tract infection, however there are sore bumps inside and my entire vaginal area just feels raw. It's the most annoying frustrating thing ever, i've never had it before. STD's can't erupt in the space of a few days can they? my boyfriend doesn't have any symptoms.
Any thoughts? I'm baffled and miserable. I came to Australia to have an awesome time with my boy and I just feel HORRIBLE. :-(
Sorry for the gross content.. eh.. i've read worse here.
1) what is something that you are proud of that maybe you shouldnt be?
2) do you steal things from work? Do you take pleasure in this?
3) Do you have a daily routine?
my answers: 1) That my art history teacher kept accusing me of plagiarism in all of my essays throughout the semester, and that even though i slept through half the class (when i was conscious i made an effort to participate as much as possible in order to compensate) i still got one of the best grades.
2) yes, envelopes, post-it notes, pens, high lighters,non dairy creamer tubs, staples and random office supplies. I take far too much pleasure in this.
3) Sort of. I get to work at 9, by 9:30 i make 6-8 cups of coffee. Between 12:30 and 1:15 i take a half hour lunch break where i either sit in the quad or sit against the Main building and read a book. Thats as much of a routine as i have.
In about a month, I'm moving from San Antonio, Texas to Tulsa, Oklahoma (an eleven hour drive that will be cut in half with one overnight).
The issue I'm having is with my cat. Our vet is located three blocks away and he can barely make it there. It's traumatic for him. I'm wondering if perhaps the best thing I could do for him would be to find him a new home here in San Antonio. I love him to pieces, but I hate the idea of putting him through something like that. It's a lose/lose situation for me.
What would you do in this situation? If any of you have some ideas on how I can make this work, I'd appreciate it.
Can you talk me out of doing this to my Playstation Portable? (with the end result being this) It's completely pointless but it's an excuse to take things apart and play with power tools and electronic bits.
1)What animal do you most frequently see as roadkill where you live? 2)When was the last time you were very lost and where were you trying to get to? How long did it take you to find the place? 3)What was the last museum you went to?
1) What's the most random/funny thing that's happened to you or around you recently? 2) Tell me about your first love, please? 3) Tell me about your first kiss. What led up to it? etc... 4) Have you ever had a one night stand? Tell me about your most promiscuous experience. 5) What is your favorite sappy romantic movie? 6) Have you read any Nicholas Sparks books? If so, did you like them?
I'm in the mood for sap & I'm being nosy. So, detailed answers are very good :)
Who is the strangest person you've added or come across on livejournal?
There is a chick on my list whose posts are always centered around Bruce Willis. She often clogs my friends page with pictures of him and apparently dreams about him every single night. It's too bizarre.
1. Say you've lost your job and your savings (if you had any) has about run out. You're going to lose your apartment/house due to inability to afford it. To top it off, your favorite pet needs an operation. There's a lack of job openings in your field, or even job openings for minimum-wage jobs, and you can't borrow any more money from friends and family because you owe them too much as it is. You're depressed and desperate when one day, you find an ad in the paper looking for workers at a local slaughterhouse. The pay is very good (50k). You call in, and find out that the job opening is that for the person who's responsible to killing the cows. You'd have to shoot a bolt (through a gun) into the animal's head, but it'll kill them instantly. Sort of humane, compared to other methods. The manager senses your hesitance and says that he'll raise the salary to 75k, because he needs someone on the line ASAP and you're the only one who's inquired so far. You are desperate. Do you take the job?
2. You're a truck driver in this scenario. You're tooling along through the city when suddenly a scooter pulls out in front of you. You're going too fast to stop in time, but you can swerve. However
-on the right, there's a man walking 3 collies -on the left, there's 4 gangsters/cholos with their back to you, shoulder to shoulder -the scooter itself in front of you is carrying two teenage girls
Whichever direction you steer the truck, everyone in each option is getting fatally injured. Where do you steer the truck?
I feel like I'm getting old all of the time lately, even though I'm only 20. I'm writing a paper and just overheard my dad talking to someone who asked " How long have you been living here?" And he said "I'd say about 11 years." It's weird to think about how some things happen so long ago, but they seem so fresh in your memory.
Can you wash a pair of sneakers in the washing machine and put them in the dryer without damaging them? If it matters any, the sneakers in question are a pair of Converse Chuck Taylor low tops. If this is a stupid idea, what is the proper way to clean a pair of sneakers?
I have some spare cash right now, and am having a horrible time getting myself to stick to any sort of healthy eating plan. I am thinking about using the Nutrisystem plan for a few months.. despite the fact that it is kind of expensive. I know it isn't that difficult to just eat healthy, but I wouldn't mind paying a little more for the convenience of not having to make my own food for a few months.
Have you used Nutrisystem? Did you lose weight? How was the food? (taste wise) Did it keep you satisfied, or were you still hungry?
1- What's the last thing you lied about? 2- Have your lies ever caught up to you and really bit you in the ass? 3- Are there any mental conditions that one can have and they can't help but lie? 4- What's the most depressing mental problem you have ever heard of and/or encountered in a human being?
theres a song i keep hearing and i cant really make out the words.. the only way i can describe it is theres a saxophone or something similar to the saxophone in the "tequila" song.. and its a guy singing and it sounds like hes saying something like "get her in the ___ ___" i know thats a terrible description but thats all i know! its definitely a new ish, not that popular song.. i heard it on muzak or something when i was at a salon on like an indie-ish station... if that helps...
if anyone can come up with anything from this description i'll have to say you're the most amazing person ever!
1. When was the last time you saw a dentist? Why? 2. How good are you about brushing? 3. Hi! I'm your dentist. What flavor of fluoride do you want? 4. How are you about dental work? (As in, do you hate going to the dentist, etc.) 5. I'm in a Harry Potter mood (still). So, what's your favorite Harry Potter book, and why?
Do you make sure not to make physical contact with strangers (if you can help it)?
Example: Taking change from a cashier, you (subconsciously or not) grab the money so that your hand doesn't touch theirs.
I do it a lot, I don't really mean to but I just do. Grabbing money, I'll barely grab it just to be sure our hands don't touch. I got some money today, and wasn't as "careful" so we did brush hands, and I realized then how rare that really is. I also consider myself a fairly affectionate person, and I am so not a germ-phobe.
Why do you think we do this? If you don't, why do you think other people do this?
so, is there a point in every relationship you're in that you realize that this person you're in love with really *is* just as human as you are and will make mistakes even though you see them as superhuman?
While cleaning out their garage awhile ago, my Stepfather found all of my beloved Cabbage Patch Kids from when I was a child. I took them all and gave them to my daughter.My mother and I collected them, and she passed away 2 years ago so they are kinda sentimental to me.
Just this past weekend, I found a collection of animal figurines called Hummels, that my Father would collect for me whenever he went out of the country. My Father and I are close, and I can't imagine ever parting with the collection, even 25 years later.
I feel like a pack rat keeping the stuff, and I hope I'm not the only one out there who does this.
-Do you own anything that means the world to you, but may not mean anything to anyone else? -What is it?
BONUS QUESTION: Can you microwave a bag of popcorn without burning it or having lots of kernels? Does that 'popcorn' button on microwaves really work?
We moved into our apartment almost two months ago. When we were looking at the place, we asked if the basement flooded and the landlord told us that it's a possibility, "like all basements do"
It's been raining pretty hard here the past hour and I just had to run downstairs for something. THERE IS ALMOST A FOOT OF WATER IN MY BASEMENT. WTF. We had put our things up off the floor, in case it flooded, but it's at the point now were the raising water is almost up to the stuff. The things we had on the floor in giant rubermaid tubs are pushed over, almost like there was a tidal wave coming through our basement.
Is this what you would consider 'normal basement flooding'?
Would it be appropriate for me to ask the landlord to take some steps so that it doesn't flood like this again?
Edit: The washer and dryer are plugged in down there, too. If I get into the water am I going to be electrocuted?
Growing up, my sister was the one who came down with all the illnesses. She had the chicken pox (I never got them), she had tonsilitis at least 3 times a year, got the really bad flus that landed her in the hospital, etc.
I was the one that got physically injured. I fell out of trees, got attacked by a dog, etc., because I was way more dare-devilish.
Did you have a propensity for one or the other growing up?
Has that changed as you've gotten older?
What's the worst physical damage you did to yourself growing up?
Women: 1) How old were you when you first went to the gynecologist? 2) What went on in that first visit? Did you feel awkward about it?
All: 3) Have you ever had an STD? If so, what did you have and were you still with the person who gave it to you? 4) How did your parents find out that you were having sex? How old were you? 5) What level of openness do you have with your parents about your sex life? What about with your best friend? 6) What's your favorite Disney movie?
For those of you who are observant Jews - what are the prayer services like at the synagogue you attend? While following a thread on another community I was privately embarrassed to realize how little I knew.
1. I went to Darien Lake (formerly Six Flags) this past weekend and went on a roller coaster called the Mind Eraser. And ever since I got off the ride i've had this excruciating pain in my back. And since I have no health insurance, i cant go and get it checked out :/
I dont know the policy as far as getting injured on a ride, especially if it wasn't brought to their attention immediately. Does anyone know how I would go about finding out information pertaining to this?
2. Have you ever thrown up on a ride?
3. What should I have for dinner? (perferably something easy and not fast food)
Ladies, What is your suggestion for where you can get a simple, inexpensive but pretty black and white dress? I am a teen so keep that in mind. :D (I am going to wear it this summer for a party.) Thank you!
This is more of a request then a question. Here's the link. Watch the video and please share it with someone you think might help make a difference. It breaks my heart that any of that had to happen. I did it and actually heard back from my congresspeople.
So I was on my way to the shops to buy chocolate. On the way there I passed a group of kids in the local primary school uniform. For the non-UKers here, this places them at 11 years old at the most.
As I passed them, every boy there asked me to "get your tits out you fuckin' fat goth!". I'd love to know how they came to that conclusion while I'm wearing a football top and jeans, but that's not the point.
For those of you in Florida... specifically the Tampa/St Pete area...
I found a link about a month ago for the Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's performed every weekend in St. Pete. It's like, $5 to get in and $1 for a prop bag. I really want to go as I've never seen it, but I can't find the link. Was wondering if anyone knew specifically which one I was talking about. I'm pretty sure it's not the one coming up for the Tampa Theater.
1. I want to call my SO and leave him a message while he's at work. But I don't know what to say. What should I tell him?
2. What was something you were really looking forward to, that ended up being not at all fun?
3. Did you do anything productive today? If so, what?
4. You're given a ton of money. Let's say... a million or more dollars. But you have to give it away. It can then be used on you in a roundabout type way (let's say you give it to your parents, who then decide to buy you a car), but you cannot negotiate/make up a deal with the person/party getting the money (You cannot say "I will give you this money if you promise to spend such-and-such amount on me as I wish"). Who do you give it to?
So, I'm looking for a classical song, and/or a song from a musical, to sing next. I just did an eisteddfod, so now I need new music. Obviously it won't be one song for the next year, I'll be trying lots of them. I tend to like musicals best, but I'm also good at classical. (did both for the eisteddfod, I did Domine Deus which is a vivaldi one, and Popular, from Wicked.) Obviously it has to be a solo, or able to be made into a solo. Preferably a female character if it's a musical, or gender neutral. So... what songs should I sing? Throw suggestions at me! (and tell me where they're from/who they're by. Links appreciated!)
The lady whom I babysit for always tells me how her 2 year old daughter is speaking more than toddlers her own age. She said that when her daughter and another 2 year old had a playdate, her daughter was like, "MOM! WHY DOESN"T SHE SPEAK? AND SHE IS SOOOO TALL" in front of the other girl. She seemed to enjoy telling me that her daughter was snarky to the other girl, and proud that her daughter is above kids her age. I feel annoyed that she compares her daughter so much and thinks she's better than the other kids.
My sister and I are trying to figure out the name of a comedian.
He has a sketch where he talks about a trip to the eye doctor and how stressful it can be.
Doctor: Tell me when A crosses B Comedian *afraid and in anticipation*:.....They cross NOW! They cross NOW! *comment to audience* What's this supposed to test anyway- how fast we can watch cars cross each other on the free way? They cross NOW!
Badly paraphrased, but hopefully someone can help?