Several different groups of college kids, identified in the article as white college kids, have thrown "ghetto" or "gangsta" parties at campuses across the nation.
(Some have done MLK parties in blackface too, which is unquestionably offensive and tacky, I'm not debating this).
College leaders, black fraternity leaders, and the NAACP is speaking out against these ghetto parties where people wear bling, grills on their teeth, and bring machine guns as being
derogatory and offensive to black Americans.
Personally, I think when the living image of these stereotypes permeates and is seen everywhere in our pop culture today, that emulating this is not about race, and that the NAACP needs to pull
the stick out of its ass. Ghetto and gangsta isn't synonymous with black, mexicans, asians, or whites.
Do you find the throwing of these parties offensive, or do you think the NAACP needs to pull the stick out of its ass as well?
Do you know who Helen Keller is?
If yes, did you learn about her from Family Guy?
What country are you from?
Edit: Does no one read subject lines these days?
2) If you have any, do you talk to your pets?
Sometimes, they probably don't understand what I'm saying but I'm sure they understand the tone of my voice somehow.
3) What was the strangest 'phase' you ever went through?
My 'punk rock' phase a few years ago, I dyed my hair green and wore fishnets and black lipstick, I thought I was so hardcore. It was horrible.
I eat it so there is just peel left.
Maybe I've lost my mind, but has www.google.com been down for the past few days?
If it is not down...how would I go about fixing my web browser so I can Google?
I have FireFox 188.8.131.52.
Edit: Some other websites aren't working...and my IE homepage has been set to www.sex.com...Wtf.
He's hung like _______
She's stacked like _____
His abs are as hard as ________
She's as curvy as ____
The best polls are as random as _____
Does anyone else have this problem?
It was so bad last night I didn't even fall asleep until 5am. And I had to get up at 9:30. Argh. I don't know if it's the light of the moon or what, but I have black curtains over my window and I still can't sleep.
What conditions do you need to be able to get a perfect sleep? How long does it usually take you to fall asleep at night?
I need total darkness and a fan blowing on me. I can't be too hot or too cold. About 68 degrees is nice. It usually takes me anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours to fall asleep. My husband is able to fall asleep in anywhere from 20 seconds (I swear!) to 5 minutes. He's crazy.
Can I please gank for my own personal lolz?
what kind of milk do you drink? in our fridge right now we have vanilla soy, Lactaid 2%, organic chocolate milk, and regular 2%
and if the person is you, that's fine also, and i'll thank you in advance for your candor and bravery
Did i forget to mention, forget to mention Memphis?
2 - dating someone who isn't as smart as you
3 - 'hi howareyou' (as in (it seems like) people say it as nonchalantly as they blink and dont actually mean it.)
4 - living one's entire existence in one giant state of denial
2) How fucking stupid are some people in Boston for not noticing those Adult Swim things until they had been up for a COUPLE WEEKS?
3) Do you think that Senator Joe Biden's (D - DE) comments about Obama were offensive/racist?
"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."
4) Do you think that Tyra Banks is a fatty?
Do you think either are doctored?
EDIT: Speaking of fatties, I'm signing up for Weight Watchers tonight. I brought a healthy lunch with me. Do you think I should say fuck that and order chinese food instead?
Mine moved to Kansas her Senior year and I have only seen her once since then.
What if you'd asked the roommate to please only have the person over on weekends because you wanted to be able to relax at home after work and they didn't seem to care?
What if that person lives next door and they could just as easily be at their house instead of yours? Would that change how you'd handle things?
2)Do you people call you a lot thinking your number is some one elses?
3)Whats the weirdest thing that has ever happened during a wrong number call?
1) I generally dont try to start conversing with them, but sometimes they do with me
2) I literally get called every other day. its ridiculous
3) i woudlnt call them weird... but some funny stuff has come up...an elderly women kept calling me and leaving me messages. my message clearly states my etc and she would leave me a message going "gail? who is coral, is that your granddaughter? why did you have her record your message? anyways gail, id like to invite you over for lunch on thursday..." and it went on and on and on and i got like 5 of these. Finally i got ahold of her and it took a good 10 minutes for me to explain she had the wrong number
Another story... when i got my cell phone last year i matched the number very closely to my home phone.. one of my friends always dialed the beginning wrong and always called these people. sometimes she left messages, or called late at night and often she spoke with a woman who always got angry with her. One day the women called my friend and straight out asked her if she was having an affair with her husband and that if she was she wanted to know immediatly. it was brilliant.
I'm usually pretty internet/computer savvy, but I'm feeling lost here. I've googled, but I have to pay for memberships at different sites to get it, and I don't want to if I don't HAVE to.
I mean a decent Photoshop program that I can actually DO something to the pictures. I have 3.0 on my computer, but I can't do anything with it. I don't know how I got it, either. lol.
Side question - is there another program that is great for editing pictures/making icons/etc? How do I get that, if so? Oh, and free if available of course.
Thanks, TQC! :D
should have clarified, not going for anything illegal here. If it is always something you have to pay for that's fine, but anywhere to get it really cheap, or any website I can download it from that is fairly reliable (again, to pay for it from them)?
Thanks again, heh
What movie(s) do you think are unintentionally hilarious? There's this clip on youtube of the Nic Cage Wicker Man remake that is pretty hilarious, but I guess anything taken out of context can seem ridiculous. Is it really that bad?
Do you take any daily vitamins or supplements? What kinds?
I had 2 framed Edward Gorey posters, a Magic Eye poster, a poster of a killer whale, a wooden tic-tac-toe board and pieces, a framed painting I got during a trip to Eastern Europe. My mother gave me a NKOTB poster when I was in 5th grade, so I put it up behind the door that remained open at almost all times. Man, how embarrassing.
2) What was the first movie you remember seeing in a theater and with whom did you see it?
I remember insisting my father take me to see UHF. I was a nerd right from the start.
3) Are you particularly controlling about any rooms in your house/apartment/whatever?
I feel a certain authority over the kitchen that makes me antsy when my hubband does stuff in a way other than how I do it. I'm much more efficient and clean the pots and pans as I go, whereas when he cooks I end up doing all the clean-up. Gr.
4) When you go to the bathroom at work, are you the kind of person who's in and out in under a minute or do you take your time?
I can't figure out how some people can enter, pee, wipe, and exit all in the time it takes me just to do the second step. How do they do it?
5) Where you ever stood up or made to wait for a date?
The other night my mother came 1 hour and 10 minutes late for our dinner reservations. That was a first for me.
6) What's your favorite thing about Thursdays? Your least?
This is actually a request from their Grandpa here in CA...this is what he writes:
"I have an emergency. Tonight, at 7:30PM EST (4:30PM PST), there is a hockey game - Pittsburgh Penguins against whoever. Chelsea and Jenna will be there at the game, holding up a big sign, wishing one of older players Happy Birthday since today is his b'day. I want to figure out how I can see the game either later tonight, or at a later time. This would involve either taping it, or having some knowledge about how to view past games."
Thanks dearies for any information!! It would mean a lot to me and him!
- Whats Do you do when you chill with someone you like, or likes you?
- Do you two hang out outside of the apt/house?
- Do you usually make the 1st move?
- Do you and your sig. other have a "song"?
- Do you believe in Groundhogs day?
- What are you wearing today?
- What are you listening to right now?
- Are you having a superbowl party?
- Want to help me move out of my parents house?
10. I am going to run home during lunch to make something for my dinner on the run... What should i make that is quick and easy?!
Does anyone have reptiles as pets? Are they creepy or cool?
Clinton and Stacy of What Not To Wear: Funny/cute or obnoxious?
Has anyone given or received one of those musical cards? What song was it and what was your reaction?
I would think it would be very slippery, especially if you toss about a lot as you sleep, maybe even falling out of bed?! I had a satin pillow case when I was young for when my hair had just been straightened (my grandmother said it was better for your hair), and it drove me insane because I would always wake up off the pillow.
Anyway, stories? Advice? Sex I hear is better or more romantic on them, is that also true or does it just depend on the person?
1. Sooooooooo, have you heard/read THE news today? ;) Your thoughts?
1. other than being on the 'net, what're you doing?
2. when was the last time your email box was empty?
3. when attending a sporting event of any kind - what kind of tasty foodage do you eat?
4. which song do you dance to while driving in your car?
5. when driving in your car w/more than one friend - do you let them choose who sits in front if one yells "SHOTGUN!",....?
6. when was the last you yelled a curse word at someone (whether driving, or whatever), and what did you say?
~ If you eat frozen meals of any brand/kind, what's your favorite?
~ Do you find Healthy Choice, Smart Ones or Lean Cuisines (or other) to be the most generally yummy?
Basically, reccomend your favorite frozen meal ...I'm in a lunch rut :o(
She's very flamboyant and she loves big, gaudy jewelry. She also makes her own big, gaudy jewelry. Well, she's always wanted a huge fake diamond ring. I'm not talking like the size of a dime but something huge like the diamond on Snatch, like the size of a Barbie doll's head, like maybe 2 inches or bigger but not something that is ridiculously too big. She's very short so I don't want anything that's going to eat her whole hand up.
She's told me that she doesn't care if its made of glass or plastic but she would prefer plastic because its lighter. She doesn't care if its a ring or a loose fake diamond.
I've gone to craft stores and the biggest diamonds they sell are about an inch and they're those cheap ones that aren't all pretty faceted. The diamond in Snatch is perfect. If I could find a plastic or glass version of that, that would be awesome.
I've gone to flea markets, various jewelry stores, consignment shops, antique shops, kiosks in the mall, anywhere I could think of that might sell a big fake diamond and found nothing.
The only thing I found that came close was a paperweight that was a tiny bit bigger than 2 inches but the woman wanted $100 for it and my friend specifically told me not to spend too much on it, that she'd feel bad. I don't have much money anyway. It was too heavy anyway to be comfortably worn as a ring.
She's a really great friend of mine and I want to get this for her. So if you know where I could possibly get this, please let me know. Thank you.
I'm starting to realize that I really should be making a budget, whether formal or informal for myself, and following it, and I'm curious as to what strategies you use that you find most successful.
I want to sign up for a study or program where I'll be paid to have weird tests or procedures done on me. Where can I find out what is available?
Are there any other database set-ups I could use other than a wiki? Or am I pretty much stuck with that?
1. Do you think that the sequel movie (Bubba Nosferatu) will live up to the awesomeness that is Bubba HoTep?
2. Have you seen the mid 90's british miniseries adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere and is it worth renting/buying?
I spent almost $2000 this week, UGH.
What did you spend it on?
I got tattooed, bought two plane tickets to FL and bought a brand-new MacBook.
Does spending large amounts of money make you feel nauseous?
Totally, I feel anxious and nervous and get a stomachache.
For those that don't know what they are:
A) Sick, twisted films who's directors/writers should be in psychiatric care?
B) Clever insights into themes such as war, society and madness?
C) Other - Please explain in comments.
2. Do you rescue turtles in teh middle of the road? Under what circumstances? Under what circumstances would you not stop?
1. I was hit by a deer. My husband and I were driving and a deer came running out. My husband immediately screeched to a halt... only to have the deer run into the side of the car. It left a dent, but the deer went bounding (apparently unhurt) back into the woods.
2. Yes, but last week I was on a three lane road with medium traffic and, as it was a main road, didn't know how to stop and save it. I don't know what became of it, but I've been feeling guilty ever since, even though I know it was probably too dangerous to stop and block a few lanes of traffic.
just something to occupy my time.
I want to do my photo essay on homelessness. However if I were homeless, I don't know that I would want my picture on someone's homework assignment.
I know where to go (downtown) in my city to find homeless people doing their daily thing -- waiting in lines at the soup kitchen, waiting in lines to get a bed for the night, sitting on the sidewalk panhandling etc... Those are the pictures I want to take (or find on the internet - that is allowed too).
So, if you were taking pictures of someone, would you go up to them, tell them what the project is for, then ask permission to take their picture? Or would you just snap away and assume consent because they are in a public place?
If Dubya had lost the 2000 election...what would HE be doing now?
- How do you react when people sing "Happy Birthday" to you in a restaurant?
- Would you add one year to your life if it meant taking one year from the life of someone in the world selected at random? Would it matter if you were told whose life you had shortened?
- If you could have free, unlimited service for 10 years from an extremely good cook, chauffeur, housekeeper, masseuse, or personal secretary, which would you choose and why?
So, TQC, should I spend some of my laundry money on food, knowing that if I called my mom right now and asked for more money, she would probably put some in my bank account? Or should I save the quarters in case I have some sort of weird emergency with my clothes where OMG I NEED QUARTERS RIGHT NOW?
Do any of you have something you would like to contribute to it?
If so, can you please include your first name (or make one up) and your location (even if it's just what country you are from)?
It doesn't have to be serious advice. Believe me, there is sillyness already included. Cursing is fine, as I'm sure at fifteen he'll be doing some of his own.
Do you normally wear perfume or cologne?
If so, which one(s) do you wear?
EDITED TO ADD: Which fragrances (not necessarily perfume or cologne) do you find appealing? Such as "citrus scents" or "freshly baked cookes" or "coconut", etc.
2. Why do artists release slightly different versions of their album in different countries? Why do they stick an extra song on the "Japanese version" and not on the "American" version?
What would you put in the blank?
Show media Loading...
SinceI should put in a question here.... umm
When you sneeze... do you do it in chunks? like 3 times in a row etc?
2. What's your most interesting story involving road rage?
3. Did anyone hear about the guy that shot another driver w/ a crossbow?
2. What organization or cause would your money go to? Why?
3. Do you think that people support well-known campaigns (i.e. buying INSPI(RED) items or LiveStrong bracelets) because they want to or because it's trendy?
( Collapse )
P.S. If your answer to #2 happens to deal with pediatric AIDS, feel free to sponsor me in UCLA's Dance Marathon (I'll be dancing for 26 hours straight to raise money for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS foundation): http://www.active.com/donate/ucladance/tanya
Does anyone else have this problem?
Anyone gotten past it?
What did it take to get over it?
Should I see a therapist? How should I get there if I can't drive myself?
Have you ever tried one of those driving schools? I was thinking about doing that because they would probably be really patient with me and I would also get a discount on my car insurance.
My husband is ok with me staying home right now, but he wants me to be able to drive in 3 years when our son is old enough for kindergarten. We plan on sending him to a Montessori school, and I don't know how the busing will be for that. Also, I want the option of doing something when he is in school (like work or community college classes). I don't want to just get knocked up again to pass my time.
Bonus Question: What's a good way to beat a cold before it gets full blown? I'm taking zinc lozenges, but they aren't really helping.
( Collapse )
2. Do you think that those web-form emails you can send through groups like True Majority ever actually get seen by the people they are intended for?
3. Are you outraged by the reaction to the Mooninite invasion in Boston? If so, would you be willing to contact the mayor's office about it?
I know some of you are going to tell me I'm overreacting, and that's okay. I'd rather feel like I'm doing something, no matter how little of an impact it may make. But really, I would prefer if you kept this to honest answers. Thanks.
My dad asked me to make tomato soup, and instead of getting a can of tomato soup I got a can of dog food. I opened it, put it in the pot, and then went to add the milk before I realized.
I'm looking for ideas and inspiration because I'm taking speech this semester. I feel like thinking of a good topic is always the hardest part.
For anyone who's a food network canada addict like me, you may have heard of a show called "Fixing Dinner" with Sandi Richard. Anyhow, basically what she does is create a monthly meal plan for a family who wants to dine in/together more often.
I'm trying to save some cash, so I thought that something like this would help me a little. What I was trying to do today was find a similar pre-made meal plan for a month, or even maybe a week that will have a grocery list, etc. like what Sandi gives to the family. Anyone know where I can find one?
Oh yeah, I don't have a family or anything, but I'm pretty sure I could adjust the meals for one.
2)Do you like iced or cold tea? Do you put sugar, lemon, or anything else in it?
3)How difficult is it to find jeans that fit you?
i got a new adapter today and its doing the same thing. what can i do?!
How do you usually wear your hair?
What's an amusing anecdote you have about a teacher?
Which of your icons is your favorite?
How do you like your eggs?
2. Is there any way to re-set yours iTunes so that the play count of all the songs is zero again?
3. What band with a female singer covered "Stinkfist" originally by Tool?
4. These are my playlists:
"Rock out with yo cock out" - current obsession music
"Lost at sea"- songs about being lost at sea (duh)
"rain" (songs about rain, or to listen to when it's rainy or stormy out)
"a new adjective for nice" (pleasant, happy, lovely songs)
"monstruo" (songs about monsters, dark songs, creepy, sexy... vampires, demons, werewolves, zombies, whatever)
"four spells" (songs about the seasons, weather, time, months, etc)
What are some songs you think I could add to my playlists?
02: If you had a radio show, what content would it have and what would you call it?
03: The Superbowl is on Sunday, what do you like to do, to have a SUPER weekend?
This is not what are you doing this weekend or for the Superbowl, this is how you have a super weekend. This question has nothing to do with the game.
x posted to thursdaythree
Find the area inside a Koch snowflake if you start with an equilateral triangle whose side is of length 1.
Anyone else in the midwest fearing the subzero weather this weekend? I've never been anywhere where it was under zero. What's it like? (If anyone has a description other than "cold"...)
I nearly killed my WMP searching for codecs; I've been using VideoLAN's VLC media player for over a year, quite successfully, but recently it's started getting VERY buggy, eating up my CPU, randomly being a complete shit, etc etc etc. I've tried the uninstall/reinstall a few times, and it doesn't seem to have helped. Can anyone recommend a better/less buggy/less frequently retarded player?
EDIT: I INSTALLED DIVX. THE MOMENT I OPENED IT, MY CPU USE SOARED TO 100% AND STAYED THERE UNTIL I REBOOTED.
My laptop just suddenly...stopped making noise. I can't hear anything, music, start up noises or anything. What have I done to it!? It isn't on mute and all the music players have the volume to max!
Edit: Never mind! Fixed it :)
What did you wear to your interview?
What was the position you were applying for?
For those who are not working/ studying/etc
What would you wear?
Bonus points for pictures.
Who is your muse?
My first long-term boyfriend just told me he "doesn't feel it anymore" and I'm understandable upset.
Any tips on how to make it go away?
What was your first love like?
What can he do to take up time? All I can think of is TV and video games... but I'm sure that'll get REALLY old after a week.
Who is a singer that you used to love, but now for some reason, you can't stand listening to them sing? I'm talking their actual voice not sounding good to you anymore, not like their style changed and you don't listen to their new music or something.
For me, it's Clay Aiken.
Is it possible to say you don't have a problem with this person? Can someone honestly say they like people whose lifestyles go against their beliefs?
To me, it is bs. I think you can disagree with certain aspects of a way a person lives their life, but to come out and say you whole heartedly disagree with who the person is as a whole, but still like the person doesn't make sense to me.
What happens to you if you eat said foods?
As far as I know the only one I have is a very small allergy to honey - it makes my throat kinda itchy. But I have to eat quite a bit of it for it to get to that point.
Yep...Hey There Delilah by the Plain White T's. I don't even really know why but everytime it comes on my heart drops and my tummy gets butterflies =]
What's the last thing you purchased?
last week, I was putting my laptop down and kind of dropped it hard on the carpet, on the corner where the usb ports are. I thought everything was fine until I used it the next time - and my mouse didn't work. I threw away the mouse, and bought a new one. Whoopes, the new one doesn't work - something is wrong with the usb ports. neither one works to connect mice, my camera, my palm.
Those are strong words. What do you feel about the Guvinator's opinion?
If so, which chapter did you join? Was initiation one of your favorite memories?
Everyone, what stereotypes do you have about Greeks? Positive or negative.
1. Have you climbed a water tower?
2. If so, what happened? Did you get caught?
3. If you did get caught, what was your punishment?
I just watched What's Eating Gilbert Grape and now I have the urge to climb the water tower in my town.
I am allergic to penicillin. I have been told that if I have a direct dosage of such, I WILL go into shock.
Would this ever actually be a concern if I were to end up in a hospital because of an emergency, y'think? (Asking as I'm going to AUS this summer, and I'm a worrywort.)
I'll be using regular copy paper, not photo paper. I've got a really amazing printer at my disposal, but I've used it before to print graphics and they still came out with "clear" blobs around them, if that phrasing makes sense.
I don't recall now what format the previous (a few months ago) experiment was saved in... but I need to do it again, so.. how should I save it this time to avoid the clear blobs when it's printed?
2. How were your tests/exams formatted?
3. If the corresponding text had a web site with study questions, did the actual test use those questions, or were they new?
4. Can you tell I'm about to take my first online class exam?
5. And here's the longshot: has anyone taken sociology online, using the Social Problems textbook?
6. And here's an unrelated question: do you like snow? I mean being outside while it's snowing, not just watching it from inside.
( Collapse )