||[Jan. 14th, 2007|10:20 pm]
The Question Club
1. My birthday is on Thursday. I had to renew my driver's license since the seven-year term was up for it. I renewed it the day after Christmas but still haven't gotten it in the mail (still could show up by Thursday). Actually, I haven't received a lot of mail at my apartment, but that's another story. If my license doesn't show up by Thursday, what should I do? My dad says just print out the confirmation of renewing it, and then if I get a ticket for driving with an expired license, I could get it dismissed in court because it's not my fault it's not been mailed to me. I live in Texas if that makes a difference (I can't find info on this). I'm moving again in a couple weeks so I'll have to get a new license anyway for the address change, so if the license for my current address doesn't show up, I'll have a new license for the new address soon enough. I hope all that made sense.|
2. How long after you move out of an apartment can you still get a deposit back? Is it only 30 days? I moved out of an apartment back in September. But I never got my deposit back or heard anything about it and have either been too busy or too absent-minded to go check up on it (I know, silly since it's money(!)). As I mentioned above, I haven't been getting some of my mail at my current apartment so I don't know if it was even mailed. Is it too late to see if they ever mailed the deposit back to me? Is there any way to prove I never recieved it if they did send it (in other words, do they keep records of if it's been cashed, because if it has been, it wasn't by me, but by whomever opened my misdirected mail)? Can they still write me a check for it even though it's been a few months since I moved out?
3. For anyone who is a teacher, how soon should I begin applying to other schools for job openings for next year? Now? Later this semester (when specifically)? This summer (there is a teacher job-fair in June/July)? I don't want to sign a contract at my current school come April/May and then back out of it if I get a job offer elsewhere, but I don't know how soon a lot of districts start looking for teachers for the following school year since a) I'm not in a public school and b) this is only my second year teaching, so I'm still learning how schools work on this side of the fence. A co-worker said I shouldn't sign a contract and just say, "I'd like to wait to sign a contract until I hear back from some schools I've applied to." But then, that could lead to my school not re-hiring me, couldn't it?