if yes, how do you do it?
August 25th, 2006
if yes, how do you do it?
I really prefer my nickname to my real name and I would love to be called by it all the time. Beyond just introducing myself to new people as Vera, how can I get people to use it? And how far can I go with it before I have to make it official? I mean, can I use it on a resume? With a professor?
eta Also, should I really be waiting till I finish college to make this change so I won't be with people who have known me by my real name for the past few years?
2) Also, about that date: The guy I'm going with is a friend of mine from the last term of college. I didn't consider it a date when I asked him, but it came out that he assumed I had asked him on a date. He's a few years older than me and is constantly spending time over in my dorm (though he's friends with my roommate, too). He came over today to use my stove and we talked for an hour and a half and ended up talking a lot about our families (he asked a lot about mine). He talks a lot about relationships around me and always jokes that for such and such a reason "it's meant to be," "we're soulmates." Anyway, we're pretty close friends and I'm not nervous at all about talking to him if I should--should I tell him that I really am interested in him?
a shot of ginnifer goodwin (as "connie baker") and ebon moss-bachrach (as "charlie/charles stewart") in the movie mona lisa smile, together, being awesome
an odd request, admittably, yet one of random pressing urgency on this night
can you help me?
Why or why not?
Age and gender please. : )
EDIT: ANSWERED THANKS!
But what are some good, easy transported lunch items? Preferably that I wouldn't need to refridgerate/heat up, but if I have to it's not a big deal. This is going to be my first job in three years that I don't have the luxury of eating whenever I feel like it, and I'm afraid of starving.
Scenario as follows:
You have met the love of your life, and you are engaged to be married. You want to sing a song to this person to express how you feel. What song do you choose?
Edit: Please no "I would write one myself" answers. I'm looking for a pre-existing song here.
I need to wash some shorts in cold but everything else requires warm water.
I'm in desperate need of some new books to read. I'm not terribly picky when it comes to books but just to give you a general idea; my two favorite books are Perks and Looking For Alaska. I also really love Palahniuk books but I've read them all so far...
Fire away anything you think I might like or even something you just like.
Are most backings flat like those you would find with a labret piercing, or are they the rounded ones that are on most regular ear studs?
I keep thinking about that scene in Clueless, "Dee, when your allergies act up, take out your nose ring."
I am wondering: what are your favourite CLEAN rap songs, and/or positive rap songs? I am willing to include songs of which there are clean versions (i.e. words are blanked out). You should know that I teach junior high language arts, and the kids doing this lesson will be aged 12 - 14.
So, what do you reccommend as far as coffee shop type drinks concerned? (Starbucks and other, I like to get my java from a variety of sources). Espescially reccommend sweet stuff. I've totally forgotten what I like!
If you have children, do you spank them? Did your opinion of spanking change after you had children?
If you plan on having children, do you plan on spanking them?
Do you like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or fluffernutters better?
A local is selling this laptop. Is this a good price for someone who is not a gamer or are the features unnecessary for my computer activities?
Additionally, would you say this is priced high or low and by how much?
2. what do you think about ayn rand as a person?
3. what do you think about her novels?
4. what do you think about her philosophy?
5. would you call yourself an objectivist?
6. if you said yes to 5 or you call yourself a fan/follower of her, how old are you and what is your sex?
this isn't for an assignment but for my own personal interest.
i hear a lot of fangirling about her and a lot of "i hate her", but i'm curious as to what people think about her in general and if people take her seriously or not. the stereotype going around is that most people who read her books are impressionable college girls who take women studies or women literature courses.
i used to be a big fan, but after researching more about her philosophy, her personal life, and memoirs by people who she was closely associated with, i started to see there was a distinction between her philosophy and her books. she stated early on that she created her philosophy for her writing, but then it seems she got all caught up about it being the explanation for everything in her life. that bothered me, along with a lot of the contradictions and certain extremes portrayed in both her novels and in her essays in general...so now i enjoy her novels only because they're a good read, but i don't take them seriously anymore.
Let's say you bid $20 on a $15 item and no one else bids. Do you have to pay the seller $20 or $15 when you win?
( Collapse )
also, who's the last person you actively stalked (or were obsessed with)? mine was a sweet guy from Fear Factor...I found his wedding pictures and stuff...
If so, what was the prize?
what should i have for lunch?
A friend and I were discussing that phrase last night though we couldn't remember the origin. My question is what musicals can you think of with not so happy endings?
So far all we have is Phantom of the Opera, Fiddler on the Roof and Crime and Punishment.
Worst scenario to wake up in?
You can spend one day in a famous person's body. Just one. You get to keep nothing but the memories. Which famous person would you select?
Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
Air Bud is the first that comes to mind. The first was cute, but who the fuck does this dog think he is? One of the Rocket Power kids?
Anyone have an idea of how to get rid of it?
edit: also, when i try to take a screen shot of it, it doesnt show up on the image.
editted yet again: looks like this kinda [i made this with ms paint]:
Why or why not?
How would you feel when any of your exes who you got along well with email, text message or call you out of the blue? Flattered or disturbed?
2. What academic, grade-boosting tips have actually worked for you (for example, sitting in the front row of a class or using flashcards)?
3. Have you ever played two completely different songs at the same time and found they sound good together? I accidentally played "Blue Hotel" by Chris Isaak and "Get over it" by OK Go last night and it sounded like the greatest dance track ever.
4. When you were in college (or if you still are), what did you use to tote your stuff around to classes? Did you see many people with back packs?
5. What is the scariest horror movie you've ever seen?
6. Who would you LEAST want to be stuck on an island with?
7. What movie would you LEAST want to be stuck in?
1. How will marrage effect my taxes when i file?
2. Name change...go to the SS building? what will I need ?
3. DMV same thing...what will i need?
4. is it ok to leave credit cards in my maiden name? or do i have to change all of them too ?
5. what other things will change now?
We are goin goin our honeymoon in the Fall.**
2. would it look really silly to wear a black skirt, black strappy shoes, and a carry light brown(camel color) handbag? (is there some rule o' fashion that my shoes have to match my bag?) and is there some color top I could wear that would make the brown handbag look ok with everything else?
I am looking for the name of this song, and the name of the band the performs it. The only lyrics I know are
"I'm on my knees, I'm Begging you please"
Its a contemperary song with a haunting musical background. Its a male singer who seems to be singing to his love. Its played on the radio to a nauseating extent. I tryed googleing it, but to no avail, all the results were not what I was looking for.
do you join the icon community just to see the rest of the icons when the entries there are locked?
do you join icon communities just to see the icons?
When you have a paid account, and if you chose the option of paying for one year on automatic payments (for $19.95), do they alert you before they deduct or charge the next payment out of your account next year?
I'm curious because, obviously, I may not remember one full year from now that $19.95 will be deducted from my account.
I have also seen some people say that LJ never alerts them in time that their paid account is about to expire. Is this more the exception than the rule in your experience?
Finally, any reason I shouldn't bother with a paid account? ;-) (such as any scuttlebutt that LJ may be shutting down in 2 months?)
I'm tired of seeing the ads, but I like the extras I get, this is why I'm thinking about finally paying for LJ.
I'm thinking about the color/shine-enhancing things (like the ones made for brunettes etc), and also somewhat thinking about ones that make curly hair happy (picked up a Fructis one on sale, will give that a shot in the next few days).
Anyone have suggestions? For the record, my hair is a medium brown (whether it falls into the lighter or darker brown range, I can't decide, but I think it leans toward the lighter), naturally curly, about shoulder-length.
I run, and I read that you should always clean your face with astringent IMMEDIATELY after the run, because otherwise the pores will close right away and trap the dirt (or something along these lines). Is that true?
But wouldn't it make sense to open the pores before the run as well? And does it matter if it's hot/cold/humid where you exercise?
EDIT: Sorry, I think I was unclear. Does it bug you when someone says "follow the fake cut!" and then posts something that looks like this instead of ( this )?
Today I saw a decal on the back of a truck that said "if it's rubbin, it's racin." What the fuck does that mean?