|Husky with Seizure
||[Aug. 3rd, 2006|02:23 pm]
The Question Club
Last night, around 1 AM, my Corgi would not stop barking. It was driving us nuts, so after a minute I had my husband go upstairs to see what the hell was up (usually the pup is just mad a cat won't play with him). Well, our roughly husky was laying down, shaking and drooling. My husband carried him downstairs and we petted and spoke to him in calm tones and after a few minutes, it passed and the dog seemed fine the rest of the night. I know certain breeds are prone to things like epilepsy and that huskies are in that catagory. I read up some more on it last night after the episode and most sites said the do what we did (calm, comfort, pet, avoid mouth area in case of biting) and that you should only take them to the vet if they have several seizures or very bad ones. Otherwise, they said to just keep an eye on the dog and try to remain calm when things happen. But because my animals are my babies, I thought I would ask about it a few places on LJ while I wait on the vet to return my call.|
Has anyone had any experiances with this, even if with other breeds? My mother has raised Akitas for years and three of hers (all unrelated) have had similar experiances and they have all died from it in spans ranging from a few days to a little over a week. Each one she took to the vet and spent thousands of dollars trying to diagnose, treat and save. It was horrible and of course, scares me now.
Here's some more info about my doggie and household to help you guys understand my specific situation:
- My husky is roughly 3ish years old, he is a rescue and they had to guess from his teeth, so we're not 100% certain.
- We keep any and all chemicals out of the reach of animals, so there's no way he got into something in our house.
- We only walk our dogs on leashes, never tie them out or let them on their own and only in our own yard, so they haven't gotten into anything out there.
- They haven't been to the dog park in weeks, so I don't think they could have picked up anything there.
- They don't really socialize with other dogs. They've met our neighbors' dogs twice, but the last time they met was weeks ago, and all my neighbors' animals seem very healthy.
- They are fed a consistant diet of the same food unless the store is out and then if I have to get another type, it's the smallest bag I can get and again, hasn't happened in over a month.
- They don't have any access to other 'safe' poisons like chocolate or plants.
- My Corgi is not having any sort of symptoms, and they are BFF, so if they got into something, I'd think they both would have gotten some and thus both have the trouble.
So, any thoughts or experiances with this sort of thing? Any and all help is appreciated!