||[Apr. 4th, 2006|05:02 pm]
The Question Club
i've never owned a rat, but would really like to get one, however, i am not someone who will just throw the animal in a cage and forget about it. i want to be well-educated before getting one and i also want to be able to form a close bond with it, which i know is possible with rats. i tried looking at sites online, but none of them seemed helpful..so i've come to thequestionclub. |
- what should i know before getting a rat? i don't want to ask anyone at a pet store since most of the workers don't seem very knowledgable, plus, i heard that buying one from a pet store isn't the best idea anyway.
- how can i get my rat to not bite? that sounds like a stupid question..but i've owned a hamster before and she was vicious. i thought holding her often would help her get used to me, but she never did and she recently died. =( like i said, i want a close and trusting relationship with the rat.
- what would be the best type of home for a rat?
- where should i get one, if not at a pet store? (i'm in the nyc area)
- approximately how much of an initial investment would getting a rat be? (the rat, food, shelter, toys, whatever else i would need). if it's too much of an expense, i will definitely wait until i save up enough money. i don't want to deprive him/her of anything at all.
- what are the pros and cons of having a male? a female?
i don't want anyone to get the wrong idea by this post. it may seem like one of those oMgGz I wAnT a RatTiE cUz ThEy'Re SoO kYoOt things, but it's really not. i just want to make sure i'm well-informed, educated, and prepared before actually purchasing one.