September 26th, 2005
in women's prisons
I know there's more but i currently can't think of any. Do you know of where else violence against women happens?
I have to write a personal essay and in said essay use a life experience to address a problem in society. I'm considering using some personal experiences about self-harm to address the issue of self-esteem issues in young people.
My question is this: Can my university in any way release any of this information to my parents (or anyone for that matter)? Very few people know of my experiences with cutting, but I feel like this would fit the requirements of the essay well (this isn't some kind of self exploitation, I just feel it would make for good writing).
Again, maybe it sounds silly, but I need an answer and I'm not about to call and wake anyone who might know.
Whenever I hear "Be My Escape" by Relient K, I think of Harry being trapped in his bedroom and the Weasleys coming to rescue him in the flying car.
Do you think only children are more likely to be super-outgoing, or more introverted?
1. For people who are middle children: are you generally more introverted or extroverted? (Question inspired by a recent post about only children.)
2. For those of you who knit or crochet: did someone teach you how to knit/crochet or did you learn on your own? Do you have any specific beginner's knitting/crocheting books that you highly reccommend?
3. Am I the only person on the face of the earth (or LJ, at the very least) who does NOT think Jennifer Aniston is hot/sexy/attractive?
( Collapse )
I bought a 4gb mini today (the metallic blue one). Loaded up itunes, got my songs into that, and now I'm sort of stumped on a few things. ( Collapse )
((I hope this doesn't count as a double post since I deleted my other one after I found the answer myself))
2) What do you do on your typical Weekend?
3) What's one goal you want to finish before you die?
What is the best razor you have ever had?
Was it disposible, just change blades, or electronic?
Why was it your favorite?
1.) In America, black people are African-Americans. What are they called in other countries? If they are black people born in Mexico, are they African-Mexicans? When I Googled that, I got people that were bi-racial. Are black people in Canada African-Canadians?
2.) Is America the only place where people place so much stress on Political Correctness? To me, it just seems like it's not so much of an issue in other countries. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention.
I'm not trying to be offensive so please don't take my questions that way. I am just really curious. I asked some ladies that I work with and even though they were African-American they didn't know. We tried to do some looking around on Google but came up with mostly information about bi-racial people and that's not really what I'm looking for.
I just thought it was an interesting question. I'm not really looking for sarcastic answers either, just serious ones.
Either Iraqi or American women. The treatment of both. Etc.
Basically..women and Iraq. I know it's super broad but I am hoping people might have something.
Also, anyone know of any women soldiers in Iraq, besides England. Just normal soldiers.
Basically..a woman's perspective/involvement/treatment in this War.
Does it annoy you when people you don't know (ie, salespeople, charities, 'bible bashers', etc) come to the door?
What turns you on while having sex? I seem to get turned on by watch a guys butt muscle contract and relax while he is thrusting. I know that this seems kind of weird but it is what works for me.
The one I heard as a kid was: shoot him with a .44, no more purple dinosaur.
Do you believe that there could be an infinite amount of species from an infinite amount of planets?
Perhaps some of you word-nerd types could help me with this. I'm trying to think of words that are dependent on certain other words. It's a little difficult to explain, but the words below are examples we've come up with. Like "boggle": you can't boggle anything other than your mind, right? You can't, you know, boggle your elbow. Well, I guess you could try. And "neap" and "ebb", they never describe anything other than a tide. And I'm sure you can figure out the rest. The only questionable one is "thwart". Because I guess you could probably find a way to thwart stuff other than plans. I'm hoping this makes sense.
purse (as a verb)
(The ones with question marks are up for debate.)
Can you think of any more?
What is your take on how powerful/perceptive the animal mind is?
Any suggestions? Or cheap mp3 players (under $100)?
2. am i the only person who isn't impressed with all the extra-tiny technology coming out these days? if i ever bought an iPod, i'd want it to be about the size of a paperback book, so it would be easier to use. also, i feel that i'd lose these things easier, or break them. if i'm paying so much money, i wouldn't want to have to keep buying things over and over.
3. every tattoo artist recommends a different thing for smearing on your fresh ink. what's your favourite, and why?
4. what's your favourite song of right now?
( Collapse )
to comply with the rules of the community, my question is: will someone throw out an idea or two for this paper?
I do have a GED, and 30 or so credits from a community college. I have never taken the SATs. I am by no means an idiot, and I can handle university level work. I've been in a "technical" nursing school for the past year and a half.
What do I have to do to get into a state level university? Like, ASU or something. Do they require HS diplomas? Or do I have to take the SATs? Maybe just go to a comm college and get the pre-reqs out of the way and then transfer?
Have any of you ever done something like this?
If TV isn't your thing, what are you doing?
(I don't normally watch TV but have the urge to vegitate tonight)
Are you atrracted to people being attracted to you and who are willing to take risks for you?
What is the one product/item you cannot live without/use every day?
( Collapse )
I've checked and I can't feel any kind of blockage around the plug area, and there wouldn't have been anything on my dishes that would have caused a blockage (no leftover chunks of food for example). I live in an apartment building and the landlord is always fiddling with the plumbing one way or another which often results in him turning off the water for several minutes at a time. I have no idea if that's related but figured I'd throw it in there anyway.
What would be the best thing to do now? I can't really afford to call the landlord to fix it because we smuggled cats into our apartment and he may kick us out if he discovers them. Is this going to drain on it's own eventually? Will it be safe to run the dishwasher again?
.1. Do you only eat it for breakfast, or any time of day?
Me: I will eat toast for any meal of the day.
.2. What is your perfect bread?
Me: Thick slice of a just-baked baguette (the Albertson's near me actually churns out fabulous stuff fresh at 3 pm daily).
.3. How many slices at a time?
Me: Just one.
.4. Ideal topping?
Me: THIN smear of real butter, not that margarine crap, and a sprinkle of Splenda and cinnamon.
.5. Slightly crisped or nearly blackened?
Me: Pretty well-toasted, to a deep brown but not black (like some people eat their s'mores LOL).
.6. Any other oddities I might be amused by?
Me: Crumbs sticking to my lipgloss= major annoyance!!!
Also, what are you MOST looking forward to finding this year in your Halloween bag/stealing from your child's?
Me: Tootsie rolls, caramel apple pops.
Since I hate UTIs and I hate waiting 4 hours at a walk-in more I was wondering if I could just take the three day's worth and save the rest for if I get another one.
Someone told me that some antibiotics lose their potency over time. Does cipro lose its potency? How should I store it to ensure it stays good?
Thanks everyone! I feel sort of stupid because I really didn't start getting prescriptions until 2 years ago (no joke). I had NO clue about antibiotics but now I'm glad I asked. :) You guys rule.
What's the one that you really wish you had gotten?
Which attribute are you really happy you got?
(Could be physical or personality-wise.)
( Collapse )
2) How can I, or can someone else, add red eyes & a needle to my icon?
3) Am I a huge loser for going out and having my intermural (noncompetitive) bowling team buy matching team shirts? (They say "Grab your balls! We're going bowling!)
4) What is your highest score ever at bowling? I've got a 191 today, all-time best.
( Collapse )
Gallup is a telemarketing place, you are guaranteed $355 every two weeks for the first six weeks (so $1065 your first six weeks of working no matter how bad you are at telemarketing) but then your wages vary from minimum wage to however much you want to make, average is $8 an hour.
ShopKo is like Target or KMart, they sell a lot of stuff, I assume I'd make $6.50-$7 an hour and it would be fairly stable as long as I came to work and didn't completely screw around.
Hours as Gallup are a lot more flexible, but it's telemarketing so that just kind of scares me off.
Both called me today asking for an interview.
Which do I choose?
2. Why does foam soap clean better than liquid soap? (like at the doctor's and like the new foam dish-soap)
3. If you've ever had a one-night stand, did you kiss them during sex? Why or why not?
4. Do you use chapstick regularly? What is your favorite flavor?
5. Does it bother you when an LJ friend deletes their journal with no forewarning nor any other contact information?
6. If you check your e-mail on your lunch break, but not any other time during the work day, do you check it while you are still on the clock or do you check it while officially on break?
There really can be a cold day in Hell...
When you shop, does animal testing affect what you do or do not buy?
My answers: yes, and yes.
2. What if you were making the decision for somebody who was not yet able to make the decision for themselves? More money for them or their peace of mind?
3. What if it was more money for them versus peace of mind for you?
If you don't know what NHS is, it's a national group of really smart, motivated kids that do various work in the community and work hard in school and are generally good people, who want their resumes to look nicer.
These sound nice and all but I think that everyone is going to give a speech on those (two of my friends who are running for different offices already showed me their speeches and, sure enough, they talked about the 4 cornerstones of NHS.) I am really bored by that idea and I'm sure that the audience would be too after hearing 11 other speeches on it. Also the 4 cornerstones of NHS really aren't my strongpoints, like I am not a really serving person, and while I get good grades, I am not really concerned by my scholarship.
So my question is, should I give a speech on other traits that I possess that would be good for being VP, or should I stick with the generic speech that everyone else will give?
And if you think I should give a different kind of speech, do you have any ideas on what to include in it? Note that I am not asking anyone to write my speech for me cuz that would just be wrong & blatant plagiarism, but I am really stuck on how to make this an original speech that will show people I care yet not bore them to death.
2. For those of you in college:
a) Do your instructors take attendance?
b) How many abscences are you allowed before you are dropped from the class, or punished in some way?
c) Could you describe your school? (You can give the name or just describe it---say you go to some small university in Ohio).
I have fake ceramic tiles for my bathroom floor. They're not plastic, but close to ceramic. I think some sort of chemical or medicine spilled onto it from the bathroom cabinet, and now there's this stain on the tile that WILL NOT COME OFF. I tried cleaning it with Clorox, soap, everything I had. How does one get rid of that?
What's your daily cleaning schedule (if you have your own place), if you have one? How much cleaning do you do every day?
what do I need? where could i find all these little bits of catholic school girl aparel?
ive done everything troubleshooting help has told me, cleaned the printer, changed the file type-and it simply 'prints' blank pages. i mean i can see and hear it make those typical printing noises but nothin comes up on the page
por que? :<
help! i need to print papers!
Please can you advise me on txt sim cards.
Is O2 (Genie) the cheapest/best network/sim card for txts? Is this how they work.....
1. I buy (or am given, by someone at work) a sim card.
2. Then I put £10 on it and get 300 txts.
3. Is that £10 JUST for txts or have I been told correctly that the £10 is calling credit and the 300 txts are FREE??
4. If 3. is correct does the £10 carry over indefinitely if I don't make any calls.
5. Do I have to top every month?
6. If I don't top up again at the end of the first (or any other, later) month do I understand right that the accumulated credit remains as calling credit, but I just don't get any free txts until I top up again?
I'm finding it hard to get any info on it.
Also, if someone gives me card (i.e. a phone number) would I be able to port my Vodafone number to it?
Finally, is there a better deal - do V/F do anything similar (no prob porting my number to another provider if they do!!) - or maybe Orange, Virgin, Tesco etc.
I don't really need two V/F PAYT phones (but I want to keep my second V/F number)!!
Hope you can sort me out - I just wanna get cheaper txts than 12p a time.
2. which did you like better, the movie or the book?
3. if you could, which book would you turn into a movie? (then go check and see if it is being turned into a movie!)
i am looking to use them to help pay off my student loan.
can i trust them with my information?
has it been beneficial?
I am gonna go search vaginapagina here in a bit, just wondered what you all thought...
2.) Which LJ site scheme (XColibur, Dystopia, Lynx) do you use?
3.) Why do people completely fail at using the "lj culture" tag?
4.) What did you get on that politics test that's been going around lately? I think it would be interesting to aggregate everyone's data, and see just how far to the loony left thequestionclub is. Please just post the numbers if you choose to answer this question. Nobody cares about the stupid graph.
My answers behind the cut:
( Collapse )
2) If you parked your car in a parking lot near a big bush and noticed the bush had some random nice clothes and a purse laying under it, would you take one of the items that you thought was nice?
3) Do you remember the 1st question you ever posted on the Question Club? What was it? Did you get the answer you were expecting?
4) If you're Canadian and have type A- blood, would you mind donating blood for me? I'm not allowed to, but I figure I may need some one day.
5) If you were a 60+ year old Francophone woman trying to learn English, what sort of activities do you think you'd enjoy?
6) Could you write something random for me in a language other than English? I want to try and guess the language and what it says.
7) Do you believe in "like father, like son" or "women turn into their mothers" or anything like that? Have you witnessed it?
8) If you're married or engaged but don't wear the ring, why not?