2. What sort of domicile do you live in? House, apartment, etc?
3. How often do you walk (or other forms of exercise) your dog?
4. Do you have any other pets?
5. Have you always had dogs growing up, or did you get your dog once you were older, out on your own?
6. Can you suggest any good books or resources on dogs, their care and training to me?
My reasons for asking these questions are under the cut, and if anyone who would be kind enough to offer me advice on the subject, I would greatly appreciate it.
I have never owned a dog, but I've always wanted one. I've been seriously considering getting one now that I live alone and have a good job (ie to afford emergencies, vet appointments, high quality food, etc), but came to the realization that I really don't know that much about dog ownership! My largest worry is that I live in an apartment, and my work shift is 9hrs. Also that I own a small parrot and a rabbit.
Obviously I would be willing to walk the dog daily, take them to training classes, etc, whatever I need to do. I take pet ownership very seriously, and want to do things right, which is why I am trying to start doing some heavy research.
But I don't know where to even start! I want to adopt from a shelter or rescue, and would prefer an older dog, 2 or 3 years maybe. But other than that I have no idea what sort of breed, other than avoiding high energy dogs and any sort of high prey-drive breed.
Am I being selfish for wanting a dog?
Of course any pictures are welcome! :)