1) if you make your own granola, you can add them there. They're a little small, but if you're using some sort of syrup to bind the granola into a mass, that'll help. I agree that chia seeds in liquid (tried them in a cold overnight oatmeal recipe found on Pinterest) have a nasty mouth feel.
2) I don't gamble, but I love Blackjack. I also see the appeal in horse and dog racing, though I've never been to either.
3) Can the TV character also be the actual person? Like, they're on TV but not an actor?
then Alton Brown. I need someone that can get nerd-tastic with me about maillard reactions, and making a smoker out of a cardboard box and a cast-iron pan.
Maybe he could introduce me to the Iron Chefs, and the Chairman.
Edited at 2013-02-15 05:21 pm (UTC)
Oooh, that's a good choice. You'd never go hungry, either.
omg, i would LOVE to hang out with alton brown. i would just ask him to explain everything in the whole world to me.
I've never made my own granola, but I've looked into it. Maybe that'll be a weekend project this weekend.
I love blackjack, but I love watching people play it more than playing it myself. I'm not a good numbers person and I feel like I need to pay more attention in blackjack than I'm willing to put out.
I just bought chia seeds for the first time last week, because an oatmeal recipe I was trying out called for them. So far I've put them in soup, on top of salad, and in oatmeal. I've been considering trying to bake them into some bread as well. I think you could probably put them in liquids and be just fine. They didn't get at all jelly-like in my oatmeal, and it sat in the refrigerator overnight.
I've been reading about them a lot lately and they're super duper health benefits and all that jazz. After a visit to my doctor earlier this week, I need to get some more nutrients in me and this is what appears to be a good option. Maybe I'll throw some into a smoothie. That's already thick, so any gel-thickening might be hidden if it's going to happen.
Refrigerator oatmeal? I love that stuff.
3. The Doctor from Doctor Who!
When I posted that question, I was thinking, "I'm going to get a lot of Dr. Whos" lol
He'd be the coolest best friend!
But if not him, I'd say Jane from Daria. She was a really good friend to Daria. Or Angela from My So-Called Life. We could sit around being introspective together.
1. Don't know, sorry. :(
2. Slot machines. Interacting with other people makes me nervous.
3. The Doctor.
I LOVE slot machines. It's the only form of gambling I do (outside of office bets and poker with friends now and then). I can put a $20 bill into a penny slot machine and play for 3 hours. They're so interactive these days, too. And the bonus rounds are fun and half the time you win for reasons that make no sense.
I love slots that have mystery and surprise bonuses. :D
1.I put them in my yogurt when I have yogurt with granola.. I also put them in my dressing on salad and I'm thinking of putting them in my pb&j too. hmm. I would like to find a recipe to use them in muffins but I dont know if they bake well.
3. Barney on HIMYM, just cuz he'd be funny.
I've read that you can mix chia seeds with water and use that as an egg substitute with baking. You'd still get the nutrients, but you wouldn't have to worry about how they handle being baked.
I wouldn't pick him personally, but Barney was the inspiration for the question!
I use flax as an egg sub already, maybe I could use half and half. Neat. Thanks.
Occasionally a random recipe will call for them. Usually yogurt or in homemade granola. I actually like the texture so the former doesn't bother me. My last granola recipe had 9 different seeds in it!
I guess mostly n/a. I'm not opposed to it, it's just mostly not my thing. Unless you count entering charity raffles! Help a local cause and maybe get a prize! Win-win!
I don't really watch TV but my friends tell me Leslie from Parks and Rec. In high school it definitely would've been Blossom.
I love raffles! I'm a total sucker for them!
leslie knope. she would be the best friend ever. she is so caring and loves holidays just like me!
Leslie Knope is my choice, too! I LOVER HER SO MUCH. She's totally my spirit animal.
shes so great! she would give us lovely compliments all the time!
She makes my heart smile.
OMG I forgot about Leslie Knope!! She would be such a great friend. :)
I'd love to have a girls' lunch with her and Liz Lemon.
That would be the best girl's lunch ever.
One of my bffs and I have shirts that have Leslie Knope (mine) and Liz Lemon (hers) on them as patron saints. Leslie's says, "Our lady of ambition" and there are waffles on it, lol. And the Liz Lemon one is "Our lady of having it all" and her's has Sabor de Solidad chips on it. We wear them at the same time and skip around together.
yesss! and you could go on brunch dates for waffles. :)
3. My first thought was Agent Scully, but then I remembered all the people she knows generally end up hurt/killed/abducted/secretly aliens, so maybe I should stay away. Actually, you know what? Forget it, I'll still go with Scully. :)
She was pretty badass, too. Like, even though bad shit happened, you know she wouldn't go down without a fight.
Let's invite her on our girls' lunch with Liz Lemon and Leslie Knope. It'll be AMAZING. :)
1. I always toss a handful into my yogurt or yogurt, or throw them in soups or spaghetti sauce, or sprinkle on peanut butter and jelly toast. I used to just make the glop and drink it, it's really not bad but it's not great either. I'd fill one of my bottles to take while running but it was a pain because you'd have to take the lid off to suck them down because they don't fit through the squeeze-top-thing, and if they get stuck in the squeeze-top-thing they sprout and it's gross.
2. I only play slot machines, and I'm not a huge fan.
3. The Dowager Countess on Downton. I feel like she'd teach me some super-classy insults.
I have Downton Abby on my queue, but I haven't started it yet. I get so addicted to shows so easily, I'm afraid I'll lose several days to nonstop watching.
That's what I did when my mom sent me the first two seasons. I didn't even think I'd like it, but after the first episode I settled in for a weekend and just ran through them.
1. I do not.
2. Texas Hold 'Em, slot machines.
3. Carrie from SATC
SATC is a show I never got into. It was on cable first, right? Before it went into syndication? I didn't have cable until around 2003, so anythign that began on cable prior to that I've missed out on. I'd like to watch the Sopranos, too.
You are correct. I never watched it until I saw the movie, and then my curiosity was peaked, so I would catch it on TV once in awhile and it wasn't long before I was hooked. My husband bought the complete series for me and I locked myself in the bedroom watching it for a good couple weeks!
Dexter so you can compare techniques?
it's always good to know someone has your back covered!
technique? the goal is to stop the heart or shut off the brain. how you get there is irrelevant.
3. Penelope Garcia from Criminal Minds.
1. nope, never tried 'em.
2. i hate gambling. :-( went to vegas for the first time last year and everyone's telling me, "oh yeah, gamble, you've got beginners' luck, go nuts!" i literally lost every penny i put in those dumb machines, and also the roulette table. smh never again tbh. i don't get the appeal.
3. probably andy from parks and rec. :3
1. No, but I'd like to try them!
2. I've only played slot machines twice it was alright I suppose. Sometimes I buy scratch tickets.
3. Phil, Modern Family.
I have a friend who puts them in the big bottle of tea she drinks all day. They don't change the consistency of the liquid and seem easy to drink.
I love gambling, which is why I don't do it much. I mostly just do the occasional scratcher and play poker with my friends and family.
Liz Lemon, maybe.
Edited at 2013-02-15 10:54 pm (UTC)
I add them to my daily shakes. There is a little bit of thickening, but it's not really noticeable. I also add them to any spreads (peanut butter, salad dressings) or sauces when cooking.
Gonna seconded Barney from HIMYM. He's can be a bit of an ass but he seems like you'd always have a good time with him.
I used to eat them in yogurt sometimes
Dude. Have you tried Mamma Chia? (It's a drink that's sold at healthy-type stores like Whole Foods or Sprouts.) It's SO GOOD, especially the Blackberry Hibiscus flavor or the Mango Coconut flavor. It might make you rethink drinking it in liquid form. It's definitely something you'll either love or hate, though.
Anyway, that being said, I put chia seeds in my oatmeal or yogurt. It doesn't get that gel-like consistency in either of those. They're also really good on a sweet type of sandwich like peanut butter and banana. You can barely even taste it, it just gives it a bit of extra crunch. You can also put them in pancakes, or, here's a recipe for chia seed banana loaf that's really good: http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/quick-and-easy-chia-seed-recipes?page=3
Can you tell I love breakfast food? lol.