The girl I work with told me her ex bought her a box of chocolates, but ate all the best ones before he presented her with it.
Oh. My. God.
What a great, awful first answer.
I think that requires a similar revenge.
I challenge people here to think one up a suggestion :P
1. One V-day I was seeing this guy who knew I loved poetry but he was kinda dense. He got me a book of poetry that was like the cheesy stuff you find in greeting cards. I had to fake being happy with that gift.
2. My daughter. If you want to talk material things I can't pick one thing. My husband loves buying little presents because he sees something that he knows you will like and will make you smile. He surprises me and our kiddo with stuff all the time. It's rarely anything expensive. And they can sometimes be really silly like a singing frog to add to your frog collection. But those are my favorite gifts to receive because they are just an expression of love.
my old flatmate got a knife from her boyfriend on valentines day because he didn't like any of her cooking knives.
My boyfriend got me two books last year that I'd never heard of or would have bought for myself and I really enjoyed them.
I've never received a bad gift.
My husband adopted a polar bear in my name for the wwf this year:):)
"I've never received a bad gift."
i want your friends and family instead of my own.
Worst: I don't think there is one. Maybe just not acknowledging it altogether.
Best: A gift bag with pre-natal vitamins as a way to tell me he was ready for kids.
That's a fantastic "best"
Edited at 2013-02-14 12:21 pm (UTC)
That "best" gift is so preciously adorable!
this may not be a story for those with a squeamish stomach. My sister's ex-bf got her a little gecko and wrapped the aquarium um (minus the top). When she unwrapped it she saw the gecko eating his own leg off! I know the intent was sweet, she really likes geckos, but to have that happen right when you open it is kind of shitty, to say the least.
so i'm a huge disney nerd, and I collect disney pins. My last bf and I met at disney world (we were both working there) so it was a special thing to us. For our first valentine's day he got me 200 disney pins and had his friend hid them for us to do a scavenger hunt. They were at his house, actually in disney world (we would have to ask certain cast members for clues), etc. It was the most fun valentine's day i've ever had!
I had no idea geckos would ever do that.
That is super, super nice and well thought out. It deserves to be on TV. I'm smiling just thinkin' about it.
omgggg the disney thing is awesome. i would love that.
that was a super awesome way for your bf to give you something he knew you'd enjoy so much.
that is so cute! did you find all 200?
When I had a boyfriend, an ex sent me a package with 2 dozen roses, jewelry and a 5 page letter asking that I give him another chance. Needless to say, my boyfriend was pissed and I was filled with all sorts of mixed emotions.
and why does that sort of thing always seem to happen when you've already got a new someone?
Apparently we are more desirable when we are unavailable. :P
Ah yes, I believe you hit the metaphorical nail on its proverbial head.
Edited at 2013-02-14 04:02 pm (UTC)
Not really sure. Maybe just not doing anything at all for it?
A set of pearls. A gift I never would have bought myself ever but which i have truly enjoyed owning
Aw, that's exactly why I gave the extravagant gifts I gave, although the humble ones that took more thought than money were equally appreciated!
It was definitely unexpected and the fact that a gift like that doesn't happen every Valentine's (or any other holiday for that matter) made it more *special*.
I still really love all the small thoughtful things too but this one gift still sticks out for me. I hate to admit it because it was mostly a money gift (although he had to choose the actual jewelry and chose something I would really love and wear) so I feel a little shallow.
1. Unfortunately, I found out accidentally that my dad gave my mom a paper mache penis for Valentine's Day one year.
2. My husband and I don't usually do anything for Valentine's Day, but a few years ago he came up to work and hand delivered a vase of flowers, and all the other girls oohed and awwed.
2. Nicely played hubby, nicely played.
I don't do V-day. But last year one of my friends' boyfriend got her a little teddy bear that said I <3 U or something and it made me want to barf a little. They're 23!
As I said we don't do V-day but I love it when my boyfriend takes me out for dinner and a movie. Cliché but so nice.
Ain't nothing wrong with dinner & a movie. Or a little cuddle.
valentines day themed stuffed animals. they just look gross and cheap to me.
1. receiving nothing. Especially after I made this bad ass little gift basket thing for him.
2. my watch my husband got me for christmas was the best.
One year my husband got me a stuffed bear that was holding a small box of candy but instead of candy being in the box, there was a blue topaz ring!
Worst V-day gift I got was getting dumped. Then I was stupid enough to get back together with my ex. I should have learned my lesson, since I was dumped again on Christmas Day.
I hate holidays and "special" days like that. The only other time I was dumped (by another guy) was on my birthday.
1) A few years ago, an ex got me Risk: Lord of the Rings Edition. He said he 'thought it looked cool'.
2) A few years ago, a Nook Simple Touch for my birthday. I love reading and would take books with me everywhere, so having access to so many in such a light form is awesome.
Haha, I would love receiving your #1. :P Give it to me!
i adore children's books and my bf surprised me with (a really cool) one today :)